Friday, March 05, 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland concept art: Tweedles, Bandersnatch and Queen

The long awaited release of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland opens today. This was our very first big motion picture so you know Kei and I are giddy as school kids!
Here's a bunch of concept art I'd like to share with you.

Tweedles: I (Bobby) must mention my buddy and fellow Imaginist: Jason Seiler for this one. Here's a little work in progress...
1. One of the many sketches I did...


2. I asked Jason to help me flush it out and here's what he came up with. I love the amazing subtleties he captures in faces. Amazing talent! Thanks so much Jason!


3. After direction from Tim Burton I painted this bald version on top of the last one and I must say... I love these creepy kids!


Bandersnatch by Bobby Chiu and Jason Seiler
Here's one of the initial concepts that I liked for the Bandersnatch character before we got to the final design.
1: Bobby's initial sketch


2: Jason Seiler paints this awesome version on top!


Queen of Hearts by Kei
1: Sketches. In the beginning of the queen design, we were always free to explore the character however we want to. Only one note to begin with: Big Head. Here are some wonderful sketches by Imaginist: Kei Acedera



2. Painting by Bobby Chiu & Kei Acedera. Under direction from Kei, I painted the queen from her sketch. Here's one of the initial concepts.


Here is a little clip of the Alice in Wonderland Gallery show at arludik in Paris, France. At the end of the clip you can see the awesome talented Barbara Canepa. Thank you for coming out to the opening everyone, it was great meeting you all!


For more of the art from the movie check out our gallery show (March 4 until April 17) at http://www.arludik.com and look up super talent Michael Kutsche at http://www.michaelkutsche.com